[game_edu] game_edu Digest, Vol 54, Issue 15

Dan Carreker DanC at NarrativeDesigns.com
Sat Apr 4 03:39:03 EDT 2009

I was going to clip the relevant portion of your email up here, but couldn't
figure where to stop. You definitely continued the hitting of the nail on
the head here.

Just to add my opinion. One problem is administration has little idea of
how to evaluate a potential teacher's résumés well as of any way of
evaluating their effectiveness once hired. In many cases they have
misconceptions of the industry or a complete lack of understanding of the
vocabulary. I know one program that advertises itself as "game design" but
when they started thought that the term referred to art asset creation - so
art teachers were recruited to teach game design. Maybe this is one way
the IGDA can help improve the situation, by publishing recommendations for
school programs on recruiting and an administration friendly guide to
industry terminology and expectation.

--Dan

Dan Carreker
www.NarrativeDesigns.com
"If I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood.
I'd type a little faster." - Asimov