[game_edu] game_edu Digest, Vol 54, Issue 15

Ian Schreiber ai864 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 4 21:36:32 EDT 2009

"How to fix this"? I'm not sure that's the right approach. All of us should be making our respective programs as good as we can, and I doubt many of us would admit to pushing low-quality education on our students. It's "Those Other Programs" that are making us all look bad, which we have no control over ;-)

For our own programs, sure -- focus on excellence. Have up-to-date equipment. Hire instructors who understand what they're teaching. Partner with industry (note that I say "partner" and not "take direction from" -- some game companies may be tempted to push their company-specific agenda on schools, which may not be in the best interests of anyone except that one company). Build bridges wherever you can. And by all means, work with this SIG to define what a great program should be, so that we can all get on the same page.

As for how to help other programs so that they don't reflect poorly on the rest of us... I've been working on that for the past few years, and I'm starting to wonder if it's a lost cause. The schools that don't care about quality education in games as long as they can boost enrollment... they are not going to care. They will not look for any resources that we provide, so they will not find them. I think it is a commendable effort to help them, but ultimately a fruitless one.

Better, I think, would be to push the information to prospective students and their parents. These people are about to spend a lot of money on an education and they ARE looking for resources. If we can provide resources targeted at this group that will make them highly aware and critical that this is a "buyer beware" market, and giving them the tools they need to select a quality program, then they will pass on the schools that aren't giving them a solid value. The only students who would attend the bottom-tier programs would then be the bottom-tier students, and all would be well.

- Ian