[game_edu] Here goes the first shoe . . .

kevin at kogsspin.com kevin at kogsspin.com
Wed Apr 15 11:37:18 EDT 2009

I totally agree with Susan and despite my agonizing efforts to try to
seem "non-finger-pointy" I can see where I may have failed. Having
taught at two "for-profit" schools (I'm at one now), I was merely
pointing out that they are more susceptible to these types of suits.
When was the last time a land-grant university was sued for deceptive
business practices?

Sorry if I caused offense, but I thought this would be a pertinent
topic for this forum and knew someone had to just suck it up and post
it. Now I'm going to see if it made the IGDA forums yet.

As for my take on the situation, I'm in the "school is what you make
of it" camp. So even in the worst situations, the fact that you
isolated so many hours a week for school and were exposed to
techniques and textbooks means you should have left there with more
knowledge and experience than when you entered. If you sat there with
your mouth open expecting to be spoon-fed an industry-acing education
(at any school), then you began your journey on faulty premises and
that is what we can fix. We can make sure any freshly spawned
developers-to-be know how to evaluate a program and pick the one that
is right for his or her needs.

--Kevin

Message: 5