[game_edu] UK/EU Playpower People (part 1: why?)

Mike Reddy Mike.Reddy at newport.ac.uk
Sun Dec 6 09:45:12 EST 2009

Are you in the UK or the EU and wanting to get your hands on a Subor
TV computer? This is the $12 famiclone/NES compatible that lies at the
heart of the http://playpower.org/ affordable computer for 3rd World
initiative.

The scheme is to develop decent education, utility and games software
to be made freely available in India, China, etc, where even the $100
laptop per child project is too much. If you go to the project
website, the current status on the software side is programming with
NES emulators, while the hardware people come up with reprogrammable
cartridges and other hardware mods to allow development/redistribution
on the actual end user machines; small timing differences, the
inclusion of a keyboard and mouse (!) and the current inability to
"download" new software to the machines means access to the actual
hardware is vital for continued development. Ultimately, any software/
hardware will be fed back to the Chinese manufacturer to improve on
what are currently incredibly basic and not well implemented programs,
in order to get "fit for purpose" IT tools to those that need them.

The only current UK source for the TV Computer is £60+ from a retro
games dealer, with none of the profits going to aid playpower; in the
US there is a distributor that sells the hardware for about $60, of
which a share goes to playpower. However, if we can raise enough
interest/sponsorship to hit about £2000 we might be able to order 100
straight from the manufacturers to redistribute at cost to potential
playpower volunteers in Europe. NOTE: Although it's a $12 machine in
Asia, customs and shipping make it considerably more here, but we can
afford it. The normal minimum order is 2000 units from Subor, the
Chinese manufacturers, but we are attempting to get a small initial
order of 100 to seed people interested in volunteering for playpower
in Europe; this is being negotiated by Derek Lomas, the lead man
behind playpower in the US, but we need enough donations or potential
purchasers to get the minimum order number of 100; if we go over then
great!