[game_edu] Why define a game? (was Re: Definition of a Game)

Ian Schreiber ai864 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 11 17:31:20 EST 2009

To me, it's important to address this early on in an intro game design class, for the same reason that other fields do this (e.g. a biology class might ask for a definition of "life"): to set the context, boundaries and expectations of what the course will and will not cover.

There are a host of other useful reasons to discuss this with students:
* It is a perennial discussion among some practicing game designers, so it is good to introduce them to the basics of the discussion so far... to indoctrinate them into game developer culture, if you will :)
* All definitions are flawed, and students need to realize the impossibility of a single perfect all-encompassing definition. (I like to ask students to define it, and then to come up with counterexamples, just to drive the point home.)
* From examining many definitions, we can find common attributes of games (such as play, goals/objectives, rules, etc.). These attributes are ultimately the building blocks (atoms?) of games, they are the things we actually design, and they are therefore extremely important to identify.

I think the discussion is less practical at the professional level; it's more important to learn how to make a good game than to define the word "game."

- Ian