[game_edu] Allocation of effort in game creation

Chris Oltyan oltyan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 13:19:10 EST 2009

I did a quick run through my current project budget. We are currently
in Production (we have 3 phases: pre, production, and release)

22% Programming
18% Production
16% Design
6% Testing
38% Art (of which sound is 3%)

For Release, the are will probably drop to 10% and testing and
programming will jump to make up the difference. In pre, programming
and art will be around 1/2 their production levels, almost 0 testing,
and distributed around Production and Design)

This is for a virtual world with various casual games in it. This
would (and does) fluctuate greatly based on Genre and Platform.
Fundamentally, its a question of design. You have make a project
represent any set of conditions, but unless you want to generalize the
situation, you won't have an accurate number. So, basically: FPS RPG
- 10 Levels, Unreal Engine, Standard Gameplay - Is predictable, and
can be generalized, but without setting constraints you will have
incredibly inaccurate estimations. After a portion of pre-production
or at least high level design is done it is much more likely that you
will be able to determine elements of the development process.