[game_edu] Papers on the effects of play

Ian Schreiber ai864 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 18 23:40:05 EST 2009

Tons of stuff out there on the positive effects of video games. Off the top of my head:

"Don't Bother Me Mom -- I'm Learning!" (Marc Prensky)
"Got Game: How the Gamer Generation is Reshaping Business Forever" (John Beck & Mitchell Wade)
"What Video Games Have to Teach Us About Learning and Literacy" (James Paul Gee)
"Everything Bad Is Good For You" (Steven Johnson)
"Killing Monsters: Why Children Need Fantasy, Super Heroes, and Make-Believe Violence" (Gerard Jones)

Those have all been out for a few years, so I'm sure there's more recent ones. Also look on the Games For Change website, should have some examples of games created to have a positive social influence.

- Ian