[game_edu] Papers on the effects of play

Lennart Nacke len at acagamic.com
Sat Feb 21 19:20:39 EST 2009

Hi Malcolm,

On 2/19/2009 6:47 AM,Malcolm Ryan wrote:

> of games as teaching problem solving skills, but I am actually looking

> more for their effects on self-esteem and relationships.

Have a look at these papers (the first 2 might be most relevant for you):

Gajadhar, B., de Kort, Y., and Ijsselsteijn, W. (2008). Shared fun is
doubled fun: Player enjoyment as a function of social setting. Fun and
Games. Springer LNCS 5294/2008. pages 106-117.
download at: http://www.springerlink.com/content/57v31j1647702118

The ideal elf: identity exploration in World of Warcraft.
Bessière, Katherine / Seay, A Fleming / Kiesler, Sara ,
Cyberpsychology & behavior. 10 (4), p.530-535, Aug 2007
abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17711361?dopt=Abstract

R.L. Mandryk, K.M. Inkpen, and T.W. Calvert (2006). Using
Psychophysiological Techniques to Measure User Experience with
Entertainment Technologies. Behaviour and Information Technology
(Special Issue on User Experience), Vol. 25, No.2, March-April 2006,
pg. 141-158.
download at: http://www.reganmandryk.com/pubs/mandryk_bit2006.pdf

Ravaja, N. / Turpeinen, M. / Saari, T. / Puttonen, S. /
Keltikangas-Jarvinen, L. The Psychophysiology of James Bond: Phasic
Emotional Responses to Violent Video Game Events, Emotion, 8 (1),
p.114-120, Feb 2008
http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/1528-3542.8.1.114

Salminen, M., & Ravaja, N. (2008). Increased oscillatory theta
activation evoked by violent digital game events. Neuroscience
Letters, 435, 69-75.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18325669?dopt=Abstract

Nacke, L. and Lindley, C. A. 2008. Flow and immersion in first-person
shooters: measuring the player's gameplay experience. In Proceedings
of the 2008 Conference on Future Play: Research, Play, Share (Toronto,
Ontario, Canada, November 03 - 05, 2008). Future Play '08. ACM, New
York, NY, 81-88. DOI= http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1496984.1496998

Ferguson, C.J. Evidence for publication bias in video game violence
effects literature: A meta-analytic review, Aggression and Violent
Behavior, 12 (4), p.470-482, Jul 2007.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.avb.2007.01.001

Also, the publication section of the EU-funded FUGA project has
numerous papers on effects of gameplay,
see http://project.hkkk.fi/fuga/ and also
http://gamescience.bth.se/research/publications/

Cheers