[game_edu] Teaching Level Design

Nic Colley Nic.Colley at cpcc.edu
Sun Feb 22 16:46:40 EST 2009

Do any of you use a similar approach?
No I do not. Your approach is interesting but I do not follow anything close to it.

Do any of you teach level design using a single editor for an entire course?
Yes. I use unreal ed.

What are your favorite editors for teaching level design?
Unreal Ed. Not to say that never winter nights editor or others are good, Unreal Ed has one of most supported communities as well as the ability for a student to see a level built and placed right onto the ps3. Their eyes light up once they reach do that.

I run two level design courses, intro and advanced. The introduction class, I have the students learn how to build geometry, terrain, place lights, AI paths, and how to import from 3ds max or Maya into unreal ed. As they are learning this, I start the class by designing a game as a group effort. A GDD is filled out and once the 4th week hits, we start sketching the levels. After the 5th week, most of the students are now able to build a basic level in unreal, minus AI and a few other topics. I assign levels too each student, if it is a sizable level then two students will tackle it together. The emphasis on this approach is a team approach, consistent theme, and play testing. The midterm is push a few weeks back from the normal ones as most students are about half way into developing. Around the 8th week, the students turn in the levels. We playtest them as a whole and see how they flow, how enemies could have been placed for better challenge, and to see if they captured that 30 seconds of fun. After the results are given, I cut them loose on their next levels. These levels are their finals for the class. 50% of the grade is on completion of the project with the other 50% on attendance and class work.

The second semester, I have students go over cut scenes, as far as where to place them given the story, how to make them, particles effects, kismet, materials, advanced lights, puzzles and other topics that add to the levels initially designed. <brag> I am able to really cut loose with the students when it comes to light placement, staging of characters, and so on as I am the lighting and technical director for my church.</brag>

I stress to them during both semesters to pay attention to resource management as the ps3 can only handle so much. They playtest the levels throughout both semesters to ensure that there is no lag on the levels and that they stream properly.

I do not have my students buy any books for either class, until the buzz guys finally release their books (I think they are on their 3rd push back on the release date), even then maybe not. For me, there is not a book good enough for my students to buy. A lot of books hit and miss on a lot of theory, but when together they are awesome. So instead of them buying tons of books, I find what I need and teach off of that.

To change between editors throughout the semester is good but for me they are not able to fully dive into the tools and experiment with level design. Jumping from editor to editor seems to hectic for me. If they learn the theory then the level's can be developed for any type or genre of game.

I always welcome critiques.

Thanks,
Nic Colley

Faculty, Simulation & Game Development Program
Nic.Colley at cpcc.edu
704-330-6348