[game_edu] Teaching Level Design

Platinum Arts platinumarts at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 18:47:06 EST 2009

I'm of course a bit biased being the project lead, but with my game design
students, from school age to college level we use my project Platinum Arts
Sandbox free 3D Game Maker. It features in game real time editing and
allows for a lot of different types of gameplay from races, to rpg, to
jumping games, etc. A great feature too is that it has cooperative editing
so that I can actually create alongside the students. I'm currently
developing a kid friendly RPG with several highschool students of mine. The
homepage is:
http://kids.platinumarts.net

I started working on Sandbox specifically for the reason of creating a
program that made it as easy as possible for kids and adults to create their
own games and worlds. For a tutorial you can watch the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g44Ww2bg2_E

I put together a basic gameplay video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiZ9-l-DxFs

For more specific features you can check here:
http://kids.platinumarts.net/what-is-sandbox.html

Lots of other teachers from anound the world have reported lots of success
with this program in their classroom. Also I have had families tell me that
they've been working on projects together, which is nice. I have seen work
from kids as young as six. I personally have used it to teach at summer
camps, and at a Middle School, Highschool, and College. Hope this helps :)
Take care.
-mike
PS forgot to mention Sandbox is free and open source so there is no limit to
the extent students can explore the software and add their own stuff.