[game_edu] CFP's/Competitions/GDC/EdSIG Summit/GGJ

S. Gold goldfile at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 14:23:57 EST 2009

I hope everyone has had a great holiday and you find yourself with an
exciting semester/quarter ahead. I wanted to share a couple of things that
have come my way that I hope you might be able to participate in all of
them.

1. GDC
2. EdSIG Summit
3. Global Game Jam
4. Competitions & CFP’s
5. Social Networking

1. GDC
We will be having an EdSIG meeting during GDC (time and date TBD). Areas of
discussion will be future projects and outreach, an EdSIG conference, EdSIG
leadership opportunities. Join us for deciding the future of the SIG. If you
have ideas and will not be attending GDC, please contact me offline and I
will put them forward.

2. IGDA Education Summit - Game Developers Conference 2009: March 23-27, San
Francisco
Essential Tools for Game Education Success
http://gdconf.com/conference/edusig.html
At the 2009 IGDA Education Summit game educators will discover experimental
and inventive educational approaches that they can bring back to the
classroom. This is a rare professional development opportunity for novice or
experienced game educators alike. In this 2-day/2-track workshop we will be
exploring areas of innovative design and programming. There will be game
blasts, post-mortems, interactive hands-on workshop sessions, great keynote
speakers, a poster session and a networking lunch with industry. Special
invited keynotes will be given by Jane McGonigal from the Institute of the
Future and Jesse Schell from ETC Carnegie Mellon and Schell Games. The
overall goal is for participants of this workshop to be able to integrate
knowledge gained into new classroom activities, resources, discussions and
curricula.

We have four workshops – Making Mini Games with C++, Blender, MDA and Game
Design Improv

Please sign-up at: http://gdconf.com/register/index.html Save 30% if you
sign-up by February 12, 2009. Know that the EdSIG Summit has sold out in
years past, don’t wait until it is too late.

3. Global Game Jam
49 locations, 20 countries, 13 time zones
Can I say more? As a SIG we have made new friends in countries that have
burgeoning programs. I am very excited that we have 20 countries included in
the GGJ. I am really happy that we are all doing something together. I can
not wait to explore and play the games. It has been an incredible experience
to come up with a project that can reach out and be inclusive of everyone. I
think this is going to be an opportunity for all participants to grow and
learn. If you are not hosting a jam, I suggest attending one nearby. During
the Jam we will have twitter updates (and possibly video) on the Global Game
Jam website for everyone to watch. http://globalgamejam.org

4. Competitions & CFP’s
New Serious Games Award (categories: Educational Game, Health Game,
Corporate Game and Persuasive Game) with prize money worth EUR 28000,-

deadline: January 31 2009
details: www.seriousgames-award.de

***********
Call for Papers: FaVE 2009, Berlin, July 27 ­ 29 2009

FaVE (Facets of Virtual Environments) 2009 is a refereed international
academic conference devoted to persistent, multi-user virtual environments.
The recent rise of World of Warcraft®, Second Life® and similar applications
has caught the imagination of the public and scholars alike, yet until now
the study of virtual environments has been subordinated to a collection of
subtopics of established academic disciplines.

deadline (full papers): February 13 2009
details: http://fave-conference.org
+ http://fave-conference.org/cfp.shtml
+ http://fave-conference.org/submission.shtml

***********
In connection with the Virtual Reality International Conference, Laval,
France, April 22 - 26 2009 the demo session Laval Virtual ReVolution 2009 is
looking for innovative VR Applications.

Submission deadline: February 1 2009
(Description document (pdf/word) | Floor installation plan (pdf/ppt/jpg/gif)

| Three Images for web | Video)

details:
http://www.laval-virtual.org/revolution/index.php?option=com_content&task=vi
ew&id=4&Itemid=12

***********
Fringe NYC 2009 , August 14 - 30 2009
call for applications

The New York International Fringe Festival is the largest multi-arts
festival in North America.

international deadline: February 14 2009 (early bird deadline January 15)
details: http://www.fringenyc.org/

***********
Call for Papers: Next Generation Experience Design
New Review of Hypermedia and Multimedia 2009 (2)
Special Issue (Guest Editors: Mark Blythe, University of York; Marc
Hassenzahl, Folkwang University, Essen; Effie Law, University of Leicester

"User experience” has become the default label for almost every study in
HCI. It appears to have replaced usability as a focus for interaction design
in both academia and industry. Courses in User Experience Design are offered
at many universities and job titles such as “User Experience Engineer” are
commonplace. Yet there are a very wide range of methodological and
theoretical approaches to user experience some of which are radically
opposed to one another. A variety of methods and techniques have been
developed from social science disciplines such as psychology, which tend to
break user experience into component elements in search for general models
and rules. Others, employ more holistic and situated approaches, taking
contextual factors into consideration. These two types of approaches have
their advantages and disadvantages - together they provide new opportunities
to transform HCI into the practice and science of experience with
technology. This special issue will reflect the diversity of approaches to
user experience and explore the limits of current methods.

Submissions may take the form of research papers or shorter technical notes
and should be submitted electronically at the Journal's Manuscript Central
site: http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/tham

deadline for submissions: February 20 2009
Informal enquiries may be sent to: mblythe at cs.york.ac.uk

***********
The University of California Transliteracies Project and UC Santa Barbara
Social Computing Group announce the "Social Computing in 2020 : Bluesky
Innovation Competition." What will social computing technologies and
practices be like in the year 2020?

eligible: undergraduate or graduate students from any discipline anywhere in
the world | awards: 1st prize, $3000 USD; 2nd prize, $1000, 3rd prize, $500

| submission format: Description of an idea + Imaginative realization,

embodiment, or illustration of the idea in a variety of possible formats
(e.g., an essay, story, script, application sketch, fictional business plan,
etc.)
deadline: January 30 2009
guidelines & submission details:
http://socialcomputing.ucsb.edu/contest2020/

5. Social Networking
We have a Facebook page where we will also have discussions. Please join us
there and here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=53908943407&ref=mf
The Global Game Jam also has a page:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=31007034299 and of course you are all
welcome to request me as a friend.

I know, a lot of stuff for one email. Have a wonderful and happy New Year.

Susan