[game_edu] Suggestions on Game Engines

Ian Schreiber ai864 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 8 23:43:37 EST 2009

For simple 2D sprite-based games, try Game Maker (www.gamemaker.nl). It's mostly drag-and-drop functionality (with a scripting language if you need something more heavy-duty), it's free, and you can get some advanced features for something like $25US. Perfect for people with little or no programming experience.

If you're comfortable with scripting but not hardcore programming, a lot of people like ActionScript / Flash. It's expensive, but if you're at a school they probably have copies already, and even if not the educational version isn't terribly expensive.

If you've never developed a game before, my main concern wouldn't be the lack of programming background, but the lack of game design background. Educational games are tricky; most of them end up being glorified multiple-choice tests with a half-baked mini-game tacked on, and finding a way to embrace the inherent fun of skill/content mastery (rather than treating "learning" and "fun" as antithetical concepts) is something that's lost on most "edutainment" developers.

- Ian