[game_edu] What have the Romans ever given us?

Roberts, Scott sroberts at cim.depaul.edu
Fri Jul 31 00:12:37 EDT 2009

Picking at crumbs? Man, that sounds truly depressing. There's plenty of industry-academic dialogue that's positive and on equal footing, and it doesn't have to be talking to a mirror or to students. I've found a number of people in industry who honestly care about the education of the next generation of game developers, and who are willing to cooperate and collaborate as equals. I wouldn't think this situation is that rare, but it may be more difficult in locations with few developers.

One effective method we've used is to invite our advisory board members to serve as "publishers" for our game projects. It gives busy people an opportunity to contribute without a large or regular time commitment, but they feel ownership and a connection to the students. Several of the publishers have ended up spending more time than they'd thought, and it gives extra motivation to students. The industry people also learn something about the challenges of what educators face in the classroom, which helps create a more dialogue-friendly environment.

Scott