[game_edu] ESA Foundation Computer and Video Game Scholarship Program

Malcolm Ryan malcolmr at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sun Mar 1 19:34:52 EST 2009

I agree that game development is not game design, and that game design
doesn't belong in CS (even though, by necessity, that is where I teach
it). However I'd like to make a case in favour of programmers as game
designers.

Game design is procedural art. A game is not just a static thing like
a picture or a fixed sequence like a film, but a process; a collection
of dynamics that arise from the player's interaction with the rules.
And in my experience computer programmers are more proficient in this
kind of procedural thinking than artists who work in non-interactive
media. They are used to the kind of problem solving which asks "What
mechanical elements should I use to build processes to produce a
particular experience?". This is a fundamental problem of game design.
I might even say _the_ fundamental problem. It is what sets a game
apart from a collection of animations, music and story.

Of course at the end of the day what we want to foster is a skill set
that combines elements of all these disciplines taught proudly under
the banner of "Games" and not making excuses for itself as part of CS
or drama or animation or whatever. In the meantime, I guess we work in
whatever corners we can get a foothold and try to throw our arms open
to as many would-be designers as we can find, whatever they background.

Malcolm