[game_edu] ESA Foundation Computer and Video Game Scholarship Program

Jim Parker jparker at ucalgary.ca
Sun Mar 1 20:40:51 EST 2009

I don't necessarily *oppose* programmers as game designers. However, in
the first case many CS programs are not creating programmers any more in
favour of 'computer scientists', who are mathematicians in effect. My
experience with this 'new generation' of computer scientists is not
completely positive. Many lack the ability to connect with the other
disciplines that are essential to game development and design, the
disciplines from which CS was built and where CS grads used to go. Much
of the work that was done by programmers 10 years ago is done by canned
code these days - there's some left, of course.

Next, I would say that stage designers (as an example) are much more
experienced at extracting production details from a script than are
computer scientists. They could in fact determine the places where new
programming had to be done and give it to the programmers, just as art
and music are parceled out to relevant professionals. There is
creativity in those tasks as well, of course, and some feeds back to the
global design. The majority of CS majors think in too linear a fashion
and have too limited exposure to the other disciplines to make a
significant contribution.

Having said that, my own background is in computer science. I'm just
saying that it's rare for a CS person to be a good game designer.

My opinion, of course!

Jim

>>> http://infotech.phsfalcons.org