[game_edu] It's an interdisciplinary field

Jim Parker jparker at ucalgary.ca
Mon Mar 2 10:11:05 EST 2009

Thanks to Darius for the appropriate story!

The key for me would be how to get a University to grasp this and to do
something sensible. As the tale shows, Universities cubbyhole folks, and
this is the wrong approach for some subjects (like ours). Any experience
with convincing schools to do this? (RIT is in some sense unique here)

Jim

Marla Schweppe wrote:

> It’s an interdisciplinary field, so in my mind it doesn’t really make

> sense to put all of ‘games’ into one program. A lot of where the

> curriculum will end up at a given school depends on where the

> expertise is in the faculty as well.

> Here, for example, we have aspects of game curriculum in a number of

> different departments. The *Information Technology *department has a

> program in *Game Development and Design*. They teach students to build

> game engines and design the interaction in the game. In the *School of

> Film and Animation* students work a lot on narrative, animation, and

> film language. In *Computer Graphics Design* (BFA in 3D Digital

> Graphics) students design and build game assets (levels, characters,

> lighting, materials) using references from different time periods,

> artists, styles, etc. In *Computer Science*, students do graphics

> programming. In *New Media,* students focus on 2D game design. All of

> the programs allow some flexibility so that students can take

> electives in other programs. Then students have the opportunity to

> work on interdisciplinary teams like in the real world.

> Since it is so interdisciplinary, is it really reasonable to assume

> that everything about creating games will be in one department or one

> program? Probably not. An interdisciplinary approach to an

> interdisciplinary field seems more appropriate.

> Professor Marla.Schweppe at rit.edu

> RIT, 73 Lomb Memorial Drive, Rochester, NY 14623 - 585-475-2754

One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw
a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where
do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

Dr. J. R. Parker, Digital Media Laboratory
Professor of Play http://www.ucalgary.ca/~jparker
Faculty of Fine Arts (Drama) jparker@ ucalgary. ca
University of Calgary 403-220-6784
AB606/AB611