[game_edu] It's an interdisciplinary field

Seth Sivak sjsivak at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 11:43:20 EST 2009

I am a current ETC student and I would agree that CMU has a very unique way
for handling inter-disciplinary collaboration and projects. All students
take the same courses, regardless of undergraduate major. After the first
semester the projects are 3/4 of the curriculum and they include teams with
various backgrounds. Our project (www.activeadventuregame.com) had seven
people with these undergraduate majors: Mechanical Engineering, Computer
Science, Fine Art, Media Art, Tv/Video, Physics and Business Management.
Even during the first semester, which is all classes, the Building Virtual
Worlds class requires group projects with interdisciplinary teams and tight
deadlines.

This sort of curriculum is really only possible as a graduate school, but so
far I have no complaints. I certainly feel that I have learned a great deal
about teamwork and how to understand the different roles in a team enough to
effectively communicate.

Seth