[game_edu] UPDATE: ‘Devs must aid academia, not b***h about it’

Sarah_Lemarie at scee.net Sarah_Lemarie at scee.net
Mon Nov 30 06:22:06 EST 2009

I agree with the article in the main - it does seem that ever since the
"Games Up" campaign, those university courses that are genuinely trying to
establish/improve connections with industry have found it no easier to do
so. While that is the case, we can hardly stand around complaining about
the quality of graduates available.

>From SCEE's perspective, we're hiring a Academic Parterships Manager, in

fact she starts with us today! Hopefully by having someone full time in a
role dedicated to discussing/creating iniatives, we can make the most out
of our six European studios and our European HQ resources in terms of
supporting and working with academia.

I thought that was worth mentioning. For smaller studios, it isn't so easy
to have somebody dedicated to this, but you can still encourage, reward
and recognise your staff to take part in working with local university
courses individually. Everything from informal project mentoring to guest
lecturing can make a difference; a little contact can go a long way.

If you haven't read the article - the discussion thread at the end of it
is fairly interesting too (obviously UK oriented).

Sarah.

Sarah Lemarié
Infrastructure Manager & Academic Liaison
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited
t: +44 (0)20 7859 5200
e: sarah_lemarie at scee.net
w: http://research.scee.net

If you have received this email in error please notify postmaster at scee.net
This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for
all known viruses.
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited
Registered Office: 10 Great Marlborough Street, London W1F 7LP, United
Kingdom
Registered in England: 3277793