[game_edu] UPDATE: ‘Devs must aid academia, not b***h about it’

baylor wetzel baylorw at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 12:12:24 EST 2009

The person quoted in the article suggested game people visit the local
universities. That's harder than it sounds. When i was in LA, getting
game professionals (especially hiring ones) and schools together
wasn't so bad because there are a ton of game studios in LA. Back in
Austin, Origin would routinely hire local UT kids. But here in
Minnesota, it's a lot tougher because we don't have many game
companies and few companies are going to fly here just to give a talk,
look at student projects or interview someone. My guess is that that's
a problem for most universities. i was proud that 47 of my students
paid their way to GDC but there are so many other people there that
frankly it's hard to get someone's time - too many people in too
little time.

-b