[game_edu] Dept of Labor Data

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 17:03:58 EDT 2009

Gregory,

I researched briefly. There is a 2000 report from the Bureau of Labor
Statistics, which mentions that they did not have numbers on game
development and were relying on industry sources (in fact, the report
seemed to have been heavily influenced by industry lobbyists).

http://www.bls.gov/opub/ooq/2000/summer/art01.htm

It appears to be the only report that BLS has on game development
available on the web.

IGDA has a more recent study (2005) showing 11.5% of game developers
polled in 2005 responded as female; core development roles such as
programming, design, etc. were distributed similarly (appx. 11%).
Other roles such as HR, IT, and writing, had significantly higher
distributions of females. Perhaps someone who was involved in the
study findings can help more.

http://www.igda.org/diversity/IGDA_DeveloperDemographics_Oct05.pdf

Game Developer Magazine has a 2004-2007 salary report that might be of
use to you as well; it's pay-to-download for an extraordinary fee.

Hope this helps.

-Dan