[game_edu] Dept of Labor Data

Gregory Walek gwalek at ccsnh.edu
Thu Sep 3 17:35:08 EDT 2009

That's correct. The 10-12% figure is accurate.

The issue here the need for data from the Department of Labor. This was
the case on my campus regarding scholarships for students in
non-traditional majors (ie. Females in game development). As the email
described, the Dept of Labor DOES NOT have data on the game industry,
and the BLS explained why. Thus the next best data is from software
enginering. The email from BLS also provides justification for use of
that data.

So what I'm providing here is at best only a bandaid and workaround. You
should be using the IDGA figures over the BLS and US Dept of Labor ones.
As for the BLS and US Dept of Labor, the real solution to this problem
is to ensure they have real data.

Gregory Walek
Professor, Animation and Graphic Game Programming
gWalek at ccsnh.edu

New Hampshire Technical Institute
31 College Drive
Concord, NH 03301-7412