[game_edu] placement rates (was Introduction - Sheri Rubin)

baylor wetzel baylorw at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 18:01:05 EDT 2009

>USC has a 49% placement rate?

Oh lord no. i was at their last demo days in May and from listening in the
hall, it sounded like everyone had multiple offers. i watched give people in
a row turn down an executive from a particularly well known MMO that my
students would have killed to get into. i'd be surprised if their placement
rate wasn't near 100%

The last statistics i saw said 49% of all game jobs in North America are in
LA. 18% are in Austin and then a handful of cities (or North Carolina) had
the majority of the rest. Games jobs, like Hollywood jobs, are very
concentrated geographically. My school, in the midwest, has a hard time
getting companies to visit us (especially in Winter), which is perhaps why
we've had 40-50 of our students at the last 3 GDCs. LA, on the other hand,
has game companies everywhere, so it's less of an imposition for their staff
to show up at a local school

Location isn't the only reason USC's program places so many people (from
what i can tell, it's actually a pretty good program), but it certainly
helps

-b