[game_edu] placement rates (was Introduction - Sheri Rubin)

Ian Schreiber ai864 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 23 13:08:45 EDT 2009

The issue of degrees varies between accreditation bodies, I think. From talking to others at places like GDC, it seems like some schools are required to keep a certain % of faculty with advanced degrees, no ifs-ands-or-buts, while others are able to substitute field experience for degrees in some cases. If this is a problem for your school, it would definitely be worth your time to contact your accrediting body and see where the rules can be bent so that you can attract the best faculty. Certainly, if accreditation is actually decreasing the quality of education, that is the opposite of what an accrediting board is supposed to be doing...

As for adjuncts, that probably also varies (in terms of what kinds of degrees your adjuncts need, and also what fraction of your faculty is full-time in the first place). I know that in academia at large (not game-specific) there has been a trend towards relying more and more on adjuncts lately due to the cost savings... and I wonder if there will be a backlash from that in a few more years (for example, imagine a school with 25% adjuncts that suddenly found with an economic upturn that half of its adjuncts left for industry again -- can you imagine staffing up that much within the space of a single term, or cutting as many classes?).

- Ian