[game_edu] [Fwd: [igda-qol] Unpaid internships are illegal]

Ian Schreiber ai864 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 5 19:38:54 EDT 2010

The other thing I noticed about the article was that this is specific to certain locations like California (which have pretty strict labor laws to protect the creative talent). If you're in a state with less restrictive laws, unpaid internships might be kosher. I assume the thing to do here would be, check with a lawyer.

I'm hesitant to throw around the "you're a bad person" label here. In spite of what the article says, the game industry is not the music industry; "paying your dues" with an unpaid internship is not a given or a standard here. The only studios I know of that offer unpaid internships, tend to be VERY up front about that to any potential interns; for exceptional students, they will make exceptions and pay them; and because they know they're getting free labor, they are willing to work around the intern's schedule (i.e. these are not 40-hour work weeks, it's more like "show up whenever you want, choose your own hours"). It's hard for me to call that exploitative.

It also means the Career Centers at our schools should do their due diligence and know if unpaid internships are legal or illegal in the local area, and they should be able to tell you and tell the students, and also tell the companies that offer them. As educators, we can certainly be part of the process by making sure that happens.

- Ian