[game_edu] Publishing a Game

Jose P. Zagal jzagal at cdm.depaul.edu
Mon Feb 15 13:01:08 EST 2010

> Are there other ways to make money? Sure, tons of ways. MMOs and

> Facebook games each have their own business models, and some indies are

> getting creative on this front. One of the Project Horseshoe reports

> from this year suggested a bunch of other theoretical ways a game could

> be funded. But what I've listed above is the most common.

> - Ian

Along the lines of alternate funding models, I hear that Kickstarter has
been quite succesfull in helping different game projects get off the
ground. The basic model is that you (the developer) specc out how much
money you need and then offer different ways for people to pledge their
contributions. If the funding goal is met within a certain time frame,
all the pledges are carried out. If the funding goal isn't met, no one
pays any money.

This is my favorite project:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hlogas/ill-make-the-world-you-shape-the-story-lets-b?pos=5&ref=recommended

Jose