[game_edu] Student IP Ownership

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 23:58:03 EDT 2010

In any case, the moral of the story is to simply have some sort of agreement expressly defining any assignments of IP rights or any work for hire agreements. Even if there are none, and the agreement is simply to say "Students retain all, University has no part in this", it makes things significantly more clear, and besides: it's good practice anyway for the students to be getting into the habit of thinking about their IP rights from the very beginning of an undertaking. Better they get a brief primer on things now, rather than 10 years down the line in the middle of an infringement action. (As a side note, this was the reasoning behind my IP primer in Ian's Game Design Concepts course from ...last year I believe?).

-Dan