[game_edu] Student IP Ownership - Example Documents

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 03:47:50 EDT 2010

Here's how I read the SCAD policy - a little more complex than Ian's version, but still generally short form:

Situations where copyright will vest in SCAD

1) If there is an express agreement saying so.
2) Created by an employee within course and scope of his employment.
3) Created by an independent contractor when specially commissioned along with an express work-for-hire agreement.
4) Work was created with "substantial use of university resources, funds, space, or facilities". Examples given are: funded by SCAD, sponsored research grant, professor temporarily released from teaching responsibilities to work on this. However the clause giving rise to this is very ambiguous and I don't think very well written.
5) Work was created by a student assisting an employee of the university and the employee was performing services within the scope of his employment.
6) Student is hired to perform specific tasks contributing to a copyrightable work.

Situations where copyright will vest in a student

1) If there is an express agreement saying so.
2) Student is an independent contractor, and created work without BOTH special commission and an express work-for-hire agreement.
3) Student is an employee acting outside of course and scope of his employment and the work created was not both specially commissioned and with express work-for-hire agreement.
4) Any other situation not listed here, where the copyright would normally vest in the student by law.

Situations where some right other than copyright vests with SCAD (generally, license for university to use)

1) Employee creates a derivative work of university copyright.
2) Student creates a work using university resources in furtherance of class project while enrolled.

All in all, it's fairly standard and pretty much follows the defaults of copyright law, with the major exception of that "substantial use" clause which is vague (despite having a definitions section, which has its own problems).

-Dan