[game_edu] Job: Quinnipiac University Game Design adn Development: Tenure Track Faculty Position

Garvey, Gregory Prof. Greg.Garvey at quinnipiac.edu
Tue Nov 30 18:21:42 EST 2010

Hi all--Here's another opportunity for those looking for a full time, tenure track position. Our Game Design and Development Major and Minor is a new program, starting in the fall of 2011.

Greg Garvey, Director, Game Design & Development, Department of Visual and Performing Arts, Quinnipiac University
Game Design and Development: Tenure Track Faculty Position

The Department of Visual and Performing Arts at Quinnipiac University seeks candidates for a full-time tenure track position at the rank of the assistant professor in game design and development. The successful candidate will play a key role in shaping a new program that emphasizes serious and meaningful games. Qualified candidates should have a terminal degree and industry experience in game design and development or a related field. Teaching experience at the college level and a strong portfolio that reflects a high degree of knowledge in game design, game art and development as evidenced in 2D and 3D game art assets, environment, and level design are required. Relevant experience includes game research, planning, and development; project life-cycle management; concept drawings, and visualization; 3D modeling, character design, and animation; game prototyping; knowledge of game engines and scripting; cross platform development including consoles, PC, online, mobile, and social media.

Candidates should be open to collaborating with colleagues within the Department of Visual and Performing Arts and across the university in developing new emerging forms such as digital storytelling, interactive theater, virtual worlds, and locative media. In addition to the primary responsibilities of contributing to the game design program, candidates may be called upon to teach in the university's core seminar series on "The Individual in the Community," "Our National Community," and "The Global Community." Our department values excellent teaching, active scholarship, and service to the university and community.

Quinnipiac University is a private, coeducational university with 5,900 undergraduate students. Consistently ranked among the best universities by US News & World Report, Quinnipiac is located just north of New Haven, only 90 minutes from New York City and two hours from Boston. The College of Arts and Sciences at Quinnipiac University is undertaking a major expansion over the next four years and expects to add 60 full-time faculty positions to strengthen the scholarly and pedagogical range of our departments.

Candidates should apply on line at https://careers.quinnipiac.edu. Application materials should include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and samples of relevant work and scholarship. After initial consideration has been completed, candidates selected for further consideration will be asked to send three letters of reference, evidence of teaching performance and a copy of transcripts. For full consideration applications should be received by January 17, 2010.

Quinnipiac University has a strong commitment to the principles and practices of diversity throughout the University community and we welcome candidates who would enhance that diversity.

"Let your soul stand cool and composed before a million universes." - Walt Whitman

"I consider laughter preferable to tears." - John Cage

Gregory P. Garvey, Professor
Director, Game Design Program
Department of Visual and Performing Arts
CAS 1-3122 Mail Drop: CL-AC1
Quinnipiac University
275 Mount Carmel Avenue
Hamden, CT 06518