[game_edu] Call for Participation - Doctoral research for game curriculum at high school level

Bill Crosbie bill.crosbie at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 13:22:29 EDT 2010

Greetings everyone,

(some things are too good to hold back on, so the steering committee decided
to forward this on rather than hold back until an 'official communique'
dealing with organizational structure had been released.)

An interesting opportunity has opened up to have an impact on game education
at the high school level. Nayo C-G Mack had contacted Susan several years
ago about requesting participation from the list as he was starting his
coursework. He is now at the research phase of his degree. If you have the
time to spare a few processor cycles to an excellent cause, consider
contributing your knowledge to his research study.

And, Nayo, welcome to the list. I think you'll appreciate the highly
thoughtful nature of our community.

Bill Crosbie

------------------------------------------ Details below the jump
--------------------------------------
Nayo C-G Mack
ncmack at ncsu.edu

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

Dear Game Education SIG Member,

I need your assistance with a research study I am currently conducting. The
study seeks to
define essential competencies and objectives for a high school Game Art and
Design curriculum,
and I have been given permission to build upon the Curriculum v3.2 from
February of 2008.
This is the topic of my dissertation for the Technology, Engineering &
Design Education
program at North Carolina State University. For this study, I need a panel
of experts and a
review panel from post-secondary institutions experienced in teaching
gaming-related courses
and/or developing technology based courses for high schools. The information
collected from
the experts will be compiled into a list of essential competencies and will
serve as a sample
curriculum for a high school Game Art and Design course.

In order to gather the information needed in this study, a web-based Delphi
will be utilized.
The Delphi methodology is a survey-based process consisting of rounds of
questioning; each
subsequent round is developed from the responses of the previous round.
Additionally, weights
will be assigned to the competencies and objectives in the third round for a
more complete
curriculum example. This research study will consist of four rounds of
questioning. Each round
should only take ten to fifteen minutes to complete and each participant
will have one week from
the date the survey is granted to complete and submit the survey.
Instructions for each round
will be included.

For your participation, you will be given an advanced copy of the high
school Game Art and
Design curriculum prior to any publications from my dissertation. You will
also have the liberty
of being named as an Expert Panelist in my dissertation, displaying your
dedication to the
continuing development of this field.

If you would like to be considered for participation in this study, please
reply to me via email by
typing “Agree to Participate” in the subject line. My email address is
ncmack at ncsu.edu. Thank
you in advance for your willingness to participate in this research study.

Best Wishes,
Nayo C-G Mack
Technology, Engineering & Design Education – Ed.D. Program
North Carolina State University
It is humbling almost to the point of despair to discover that 15 dozen
screenfuls of ponderous commentary produced by a small liberal-arts faculty
worth of beardy gamer geeks can, with almost zero loss of insight, be
reduced to the three panels of a Penny Arcade cartoon.
~ Julian Dibbell quoted in Wired (September 2007)