[game_edu] Industry luminaries slam universities' games courses

Ian Schreiber ai864 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 18 10:42:09 EDT 2010

The whole article reads as a bit sensationalized to me. Yes, some so-called
"game schools" suck, they are just slapping the word "game" on their program to
try to boost enrollment without giving any thought or effort to making the
program relevant (no one on this list, of course ;-). I think that is what this
other Ian is getting at -- not that a liberal arts education is bad, but that a
school that bills itself as Game Development that actually teaches Game Studies
is not doing anyone any favors, and I would agree with that much at least. It
would be wonderful if we could all have consistent terminology in the naming of
our respective departments and majors.

But this ignores that many schools do have quality programs, are teaching what
they say they're teaching, and genuinely make an effort to produce students who
are well educated and valuable to the industry that they are trying to break
into.

I'm particularly surprised that this article came out of the UK. Maybe I'm
wrong, but my impression was that there were actual governmental guidelines for
academic programs of study (including games) over there, which would presumably
make it a lot harder for a school to just be completely useless?

- Ian