[game_edu] New book on game sound

Grimshaw, Mark M.N.Grimshaw at bolton.ac.uk
Mon Oct 18 11:34:37 EDT 2010

Dear all,

I'm pleased to announce the publication of the anthology: Game Sound Technology and Player Interaction: Concepts and Developments.

The official release from the publishers is below and the Amazon.co.uk link is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-Sound-Technology-Player-Interaction/dp/161692828X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287415194&sr=8-1

To forestall the type of complaint I've seen in the past on this list about IGI prices (this one is £122.50 on Amazon and, of course, well worth the price) and to answer the (somewhat crass) comment I saw posted after the last IGI book I saw advertised here ('don't these authors realize what type of outfit IGI is' - following a comment about the price of that book and to which I said I would respond once my book was out), I have the following to say. They may charge a high price for the print book and online versions but have a very, very generous Open Access policy allowing each contributor to post the full, post-print chapter on OA institutional/personal servers. Assuming each contributor does this, the astute reader, with a little effort, could download each chapter for free. The two chapters I was involved in are already available.

For anyone considering working with IGI, I heartily recommend them: courteous, prompt, on the ball and helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Sounding Off: Game Sound Indicator of Player Engagement

Hershey, PA - October 12, 2010 - IGI Global, an international publishing company specializing in high-quality research publications in the fields of computer science and information technology management, is pleased to announce the release of Game Sound Technology and Player Interaction: Concepts and Developments, edited by Mark Grimshaw (University of Bolton, UK).

According to Dr. Grimshaw, "From the simplest of puzzle games to the most detailed and convoluted of game worlds, sound is the indicator par excellence of player engagement and interaction with the structures of the game and the rules of play." He continues, explaining, "Academic writing about game sound, especially its analytical and theoretical underpinnings, is a developing area and this is reflected by the diversity of theoretical methodologies and the variety of terminology in use."

Game Sound Technology and Player Interaction: Concepts and Developments researches both how game sound affects a player psychologically, emotionally, and physiologically, and how this relationship itself impacts the design of computer game sound and the development of technology. This compilation applies beyond the realm of video games to other types of immersive sound, such as soundscape design, gambling machines, and emotive and fantastical sound, just to name a few. The application for this research is wide-ranging, interdisciplinary, and of primary importance for academics and practitioners searching for the right sounds.

For more information on Game Sound Technology and Player Interaction: Concepts and Developments, please visit http://www.igi-global.com/Bookstore/TitleDetails.aspx?TitleId=41766 <http://www.igi-global.com/Bookstore/TitleDetails.aspx?TitleId=41766> .

About IGI Global:

Since 1988, IGI Global has provided comprehensive research not just on computer science and information technology management, but also on how information technology affects human activities and interactions. IGI Global is a leading multimedia publisher of books, reference works, journals, encyclopedias, teaching cases, proceedings, and databases covering the areas of education, social science, library science, healthcare, business management, public administration, and computer science. Information on all of IGI Global's resources can be found at www.igi-global.com <http://www.igi-global.com> . IGI Global's offices are located in Hershey, PA and New York City, NY, USA.

Follow us on Twitter <http://twitter.com/igiglobal> and Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/IGI-Global/138206739534176?ref=ts> to receive updates from IGI Global.

--

Dr. Mark Grimshaw

Reader in Creative Technologies

School of Business & Creative Technologies

University of Bolton

Work: http://www.bolton.ac.uk/gcct/

Personal: http://www.wikindx.com