[game_edu] Training vs. Education (was Industry luminaries..)

Ian Schreiber ai864 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 19 10:02:50 EDT 2010

Let me turn that around a bit. Yes, it is true that studios would like to hire
students who can hit the ground running (and in some cases they find such
people, so this is not entirely hopeless, particularly if some of the
"training/vocational" side of things are electives they take in their final
year).

However, I think most companies would settle for hiring a student who might not
know the specific technologies they use (maybe they hire an artist who knows
Maya but they use Max at this studio, or maybe they hired a computer science
student who hasn't learned Unity) but that student knows the fundamentals, has
the theory and the basic skills, and is capable of sitting down and learning the
new tools with minimal supervision. In other words, someone who knows the theory
that is common to all tasks, and who has learned how to learn.

And unfortunately, I see a lot of students who graduate with their Bachelor's
degrees and apparently do not even have that capability. And at that point, I
would say the industry would be quite right to be a bit miffed with whatever
school produced such a student.

- Ian