[game_edu] Industry luminaries slam universities' games courses

Simon Rozner infonaut at gameonaut.com
Wed Oct 20 00:40:14 EDT 2010

The typical egg and chicken scenario.

Lets tackle 2 first. If you dont train people to your inhouse way of
working they never learn properly how to do the job how you want it.
Every company is different and there is no magic formula. If they stay
well that is YOUR problem as a manager. If they dont perform because
your missed out on showing them the local ropes that is your fault. If
they dont perform because of lack of skill/dedication etc you have the
right to fire them. Under no way should a manager push of the
responsibility of lack of knowledge that has to do with the companies
own way of doing things to someone else, least a new employee.

1) ok so you trained them, spend a lot of money on them they improved
and now they leave. Ever wondered why people quit? Maybe your are
great at training bus suck as a boss? Maybe you dont show enough
recognition? How about after two years the newbie still has his 1500$
a month sallary? The moment the chance of getting a better job comes
along, anyone in their right mind would quit. Now as a manager you
need to give pretty darn good incentive for people to stay. A lot of
companies fail flat on their face with this. Give opportunities to go
up the career ladder. Provide competitive salary increases (5% min to
better even 10% a year) for well performing starters or they most
definitley leave for a better place.

I am fro the Y/reset generation and sorry to say so, my job needs to
be just a bit more give as well not just take. Luckily i have this job
now, but due to managers who not just demand but also provide.

Recently on Kotaku was a nice speech by their head. For the X and Y
gens out there that would be a good watch.

Sorry for he rant, but think the problems managers face with the two
questions Ian raised can be easely addressed by any manager with a bit
of critical and realistic analysis of the situation.

"DON'T PANIC"

Simon