[game_edu] game_edu Digest, Vol 72, Issue 2

Bill Crosbie bill.crosbie at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 22:09:38 EDT 2010

Message: 2

> Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 19:26:02 -0400

> From: Susan Gold <goldfile at gmail.com>

> Subject: [game_edu] Questions for the Candidates

> 1)One thing I noticed in all of the statements is that no one addressed

> that we are an international organization. Everyone running is

> strictly from the US. How do you think you will address the needs of

> varying curriculums from all over the world?

I think the first thing to be done is to partner with the heads of programs
across the globe. At GDC in March (2010) Don Geyer from the University of
Gotland stepped forward as being interested in working on the curriculum
revision.Prior to the notification of election, I had contacted Don to
volunteer for the effort as well. Whomever is elected to the steering
committee should reach out to Don and indicate that the organization would
welcome his continued interest and participation. Even though the elected
leadership for this round is US centric, that doesn't mean that work of the
organization would necessarily need to be so. The only way to address the
needs of faculty in other countries is to be talking with and developing
relationships with the people heading up those programs.

> 2) Some people have brought up the curriculum framework in their

> statements. Is our current framework working? Also, an aside, I would

> be interested in finding out if those running have adopted the current

> framework in their schools? What would you do to get wider adoption?

The framework helped so many of us get started. It is an excellent place to
check if your curriculum ideas align with the industry in broad terms. As I
proposed in my statement, I think it would be beneficial to provide greater
explanation of why these particular areas are important to include in the
curriculum with 'voices form the trenches.' My goal is not to be
prescriptive in what is covered across all curricula. It is to provide
greater specificity for any topic in the framework so as schools develop
their sequences, courses, projects and lessons that they have an industry
voice explaining the importance and goals of how that topic relates in day
to day practice.

I also think that it is time for schools with two year programs and four
year programs to work out arrangements for articulation. Adoption of and
agreement on sections of the framework could be critical in providing
confidence of continuity of topics across programs.