[game_edu] Qol, "crunch" and Education

Mike Sellers mike at onlinealchemy.com
Fri Feb 4 12:29:41 EST 2011

Very interesting discussion. Crunch is a complex phenomenon in any software
business, but is highly visible in games.

One thing I would suggest for those teaching students about software
engineering in general and game development in particular is how to make
better estimates of their work. This takes time, but is a great self- and
team-check.

One (educational) way to do this that I have used in industry to extremely
good effect is to have team members (students) create typical schedule
estimates as part of planning a project. This is fairly standard
Gantt-chart stuff, but we're always dealing with unknowns that make any task
estimate risky. So then expand this into 10/50/90 estimates: they have to
define their most optimistic estimate (10% probability, if everything goes
well), their midline (50%, should have been their initial estimate), and
their conservative estimate (90% probability of completion by that time,
absent a meteor hitting their computer).

Then, throughout the course of the project (on a weekly or even daily
basis), have them continually re-estimate their tasks. Those that they're
actively working on should see the 10/50/90 estimates converge. If they
don't, there's something wrong -- a task that was 3 days from being done 2
days ago, and is still 3 days from being done needs critical review.

There are three great things the students or team members get out of this:
first is a quantitative understanding of how their own schedule estimates
differ from reality. Second, a quantitative measure of how their ability to
schedule can improve (on a second short project they should be able to give
better estimates of what can be done in a given time). And third is a clear
and again quantitative understanding of how it is that projects get behind.
Whether it's someone's laziness or being unprepared, changing or unknown
requirements, unexpected bugs or design taking longer than expected, it
quickly becomes clear where the sources of crunch come from.

It's easy to blame designers, programmers, or execs in game studios for
crunch, but the fact is they all play roles in this. Without question to me
the key in avoiding crunch-as-lifestyle is sizing reachable goals to the
time and resources available -- and the only way to really do this is to
know, quantitatively from past experience, how accurate your task estimates
are likely to be (this is still a rare thing in industry, but is incredibly
useful). You can even get to the point of saying, "okay, those estimates
look and feel pretty good to me. But I know from past experience that my
'looks good' estimates of ill-defined tasks need to be multiplied by 1.12 to
get a historically accurate measure of how long it will really take."

Armed with this, students can learn to avoid crunch whenever possible, or at
least not contribute to it being a way of life.

Mike Sellers