[game_edu] Qol, "crunch" and Education

Ian Schreiber ai864 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 5 15:38:18 EST 2011

>>I've been kicking around ideas for a while now about ways to prevent students

>>from being overworked

>>and overstressed due to occupational expectations. Most stress-relief programs

>>schools offer that I've

>>followed generally say things like "take breaks, manage your time, have

>>me-time, etc." but never talk

>>much about how you learn to draw the line.

>The problem I see is, drawing the line really means "drawing the line where you

>get excluded." If

>someone says, "no, sorry, I won't put myself through that," the consequences

>are, "I see, so you don't

>really want this as badly as others" or even, "I see I can't count on you when

>things get hard." So drawing

>the line means you've just put a limit on your occupational aspirations. This

>often turns out not to be the

>case in the long term, but there's no way to know that on the day you declare

>your limits.

Sounds like this is an area where educators would want to push back to industry,
saying "hey, if you want to stop crunching all the time, stop hiring the
overachieving students that are just going to burn themselves out in a few years
anyway. They're just going to perpetuate the problem and the damaging culture
surrounding it."