[game_edu] Note about the Gflbal Game Jam

Bill Crosbie bill.crosbie at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 08:46:01 EST 2011

Six hours to go at the RVCC Global Game Jam site. Forgive me if text is less
than coherent.

Susan Gold posted this in the IGDA Boat facebook page and I wanted to
forward it here:

Susan Gold<http://www.facebook.com/n/?profile.php&id=564663006&mid=3af439dG868fc1Ge021fccG96&bcode=Zm2mo&n_m=bcrosbie%40rci.rutgers.edu>6:07am
Jan 30
As of this morning..... 7577 jammers have been registered for GGJ. The site
with the most registered jammers (232) is currently Nordic Game Jam
(Denmark) followed by Rangsit University (Thailand) and Metutech-Atom
(Turkey). There are currently 1239 active game projects for GGJ 2011.* I
hope everyone realizes that these games need to be played, talked and
blogged about to keep the momentum of this tremendous community spirit.

*
----
I hope that you will be checking out the games, the developer blogs and
encouraging your students to do likewise. The GGJ is an incredibly important
event for the education community because the games that are uploaded
include source files. Is the code textbook perfect? Of course not. It's code
that was written to get stuff done under constrained time and resources.

In other words, it's REAL code.

What a great way for your students to learn!

bill crosbie
http://about.me/bcrosbie/bio

It is humbling almost to the point of despair to discover that 15 dozen
screenfuls of ponderous commentary produced by a small liberal-arts faculty
worth of beardy gamer geeks can, with almost zero loss of insight, be
reduced to the three panels of a Penny Arcade cartoon.
~ Julian Dibbell quoted in Wired (September 2007)