[game_edu] Game interface design class?

Adam Parker aparker at qantmcollege.edu.au
Wed Jun 15 21:17:50 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I was an interaction designer focusing on UI for web and kiosks in a past
life. I don't lecture in this area at present, but when asked about my
professional practice by students designing game UIs I tend to start them
with two clear spines...

- From a human-computer interaction (HCI) perspective - Ben
Shneiderman, Designing
the User Interface<http://www.amazon.com/Designing-User-Interface-Human-Computer-Interaction/dp/0321537351/ref=dp_ob_title_bk>,
fifth edition. The 8 Golden Rules of HCI, and 50 years of progress along
computer science, cognitive science and ergonomic principles.

- From an interaction design (IxD) perspective, I agree with Kim -
Preece, Rogers and Sharp, Interaction design: Beyond Human-Computer
Interaction<http://www.amazon.com/Interaction-Design-Beyond-Human-Computer/dp/0470665769/ref=dp_ob_title_bk>,
now in its third editon. This book has changed markedly over the years since
the edition Kim is talking about, so get a recent one at all costs. A
condensation of the more recent trend in the last 2 decades towards
investigation based on qualitative social science methods.

The UI field can be seen as being structured by the tectonics of these two
major disciplinary tendencies - one tending towards engineering, the other
tending towards "product" design.

For those who have to teach this area to non-designers, an oldie but goodie

- Mullet and Sano, Designing Visual
Interfaces<http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Visual-Interfaces-Communication-Techniques/dp/0133033899>.
Back in 1994 this saved my professional bacon when thrown in the deep end
designing UI on a major project with no experience. I owe them beer. many
examples out of date (MacOS 6!!!), but the principles are timeless.

Also consider:

- Krug, Don't make me
think!<http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Make-Me-Think-Usability/dp/0321344758/ref=pd_sim_b_4>.
Web oriented, but witty and readable.

Now, some thoughts for gratuitous effect ;^) (Gets on his old feller
soapbox...)

I'd issue a word of caution that we should not assume that HCI and IxD
knowledges are immediately transferrable to game design in general.
Assessment is required. Practitioners in those disciplines often operate
under ideologies of efficiency and productivity that often run counter to
notions of play.

There is also much to be said for knowledges and practices devised in light
of the opportunities arising from the area's unique processes, some of which
could better inform UI as practiced in traditional HCI and IxD.

I really like the look of David Farrell's curriculum, as it puts emphasis on
pragmatic user evaluation techniques and analysis methods.

All that being said, I've a personal interest in the effectiveness of
transferring traditional IxD knowledge to game design in general where
appropriate, so please let me know how things are going for you if you are
trying to do this as well.

Cheers
Adam

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 8:12 PM, Kim Blake <kblake at blitzgamesstudios.com>wrote:

> Hi,

> One of our designers is super-keen on the importance of UI design and he

> recommends this from his (not very distant) uni days:

> Preece, Rogers and Sharp (2002) – Interaction Design

> It’s got some great stuff in it, but I guess if you were buying it

> specifically I’d probably say get a cheapo copy since it has enormous

> swathes dedicated to various different ways of identifying your users needs,

> the principal of which is great, but the long long explanations of how to do

> them are not worth your up-to-date pennies.

> Kim

Adam Parker
Senior Lecturer, Games Design
Qantm College

Qantm College Melbourne Campus
235 Normanby Rd
South Melbourne VIC 3205 Australia

+61 (0) 3 8632 3400 | Phone
+61 (0) 3 8632 3401 | Fax

www.sae.edu | Web
www.qantm.com.au | Web
www.saeshortcourses.com | Web

SAE National Provider Code: 0273. SAE CRICOS Provider Codes: NSW 00312F. SAE
Institute Pty Ltd, ABN: 21 093 057 973

This email (including all attachments) is confidential and may be subject to
legal privilege and/or copyright. The information contained within this
email (including all attachments) should only be viewed if you are the
intended recipient. If you have received this email in error, please notify
the sender immediately and delete this email from your system along with any
copies that have been made. Any unauthorised use, which includes saving,
printing, copying, disseminating or forwarding is prohibited and may result
in breach of confidentiality, privilege or copyright. If you wish to
unsubscribe or choose not to receive further commercial electronic messages
from SAE Institute or any grouped/associated entities please send an email
this address with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line.