[game_edu] question from the community

Jim Parker jparker at ucalgary.ca
Wed Jun 29 00:09:23 EDT 2011

Well, there's a certain amount of 'grade inflation' going on, first of
all. A BSc or BA is not what it once was. And people I know in the
industry have told me that they prefer a masters degree in general.

Next, in many ways it makes the individual stand out if they have fewer
items in their portfolio. In particular (as one now in an Art
department) an MFA is a more significant credential than a BFA.

Thirdly, it allows a bit of divergence. So a degree in a narrative area,
say English, followed by an MFA may show an ability to do
interdisciplinary work.

I absolutely agree with you that a good portfolio is primary.

Jim