[game_edu] question from the community

Steve Graham skudge at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 03:49:06 EDT 2011

On 6/29/2011 12:00 AM, Ian Schreiber wrote:

> I know in my CS classes, especially lower-division, an awful lot of

> assignments were "here's a spec, write code to make it happen"...

That is (I would guess) all too common, and unfortunate. Software design
has little to do with such assignments. For real software design there
is usually no spec or the spec diverges from reality. Software designers
spend the bulk of their time figuring out what the spec ought to be and
then making that precise enough for a computer to understand.

> and while you could say there's "creativity" in choosing how to write

> the code (for loop... or while loop?)

No. That is mechanical and makes negligible difference. What matters is
how you choose to model whatever piece of reality is represented in your
program. And, aside from trivial programs, there is a great deal of
creativity in such modeling.

> that doesn't allow for nearly the same level of creative expression in

> an assignment like "design the core mechanics for an original game"...

Actually, it is almost exactly the same level of creativity. A game is a
model of some chunk of reality, just as a program is. A game is executed
by players rather than a computer, so you don't have to be as careful in
laying out the rules and game play.

Or we can see a game as a program written for a very accommodating computer.

One could give an assignment "design the core code for an original
program", but it's only possible after students have developed
sufficient fluency. And some additional constraints would make it more
interesting.

> so on the bright side, I think there are easy fixes here, since

> students do have innate creativity (and often a drive to do something

> creative), we just have to give them opportunities.

> - Ian

and the more opportunities, the better!

cheers,
skg