[game_edu] The Multiplayer Classroom

Steve Graham skudge at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 15:15:24 EDT 2011

It's an interesting idea and we've experimented with it in some classes
here at DSU. As with any game, there are balance challenges.

I first came across the idea from Jessica Bayliss at RIT in a
presentation more than three years ago. She and David Schwartz have a
paper in FDG'09 on it available from ACM's digital library
(http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=1536513.1536526).

Since then, I've been (slowly) working on an essay from an inverted
perspective: What are the implications for a student approaching
learning in a classroom as they would a game? (whether the class has
been "gamified" or not).

If anyone is interested in discussing that with me, I'd appreciate
hearing from you.

cheers,
skg

On 6/30/2011 9:26 AM, Lee Sheldon wrote:

> My new book, The Multiplayer Classroom: Designing Coursework as a

> Game, has just been published by Cengage Learning. Since Jesse

> Schell's shout out to this method of teaching in his DICE talk (picked

> up by TED) on gamification last year, and the recent Extra Credits

> video on The Escapist website, the concept has been attracting quite a

> bit of interest. This is not a book about using video games to teach.

> It details four classes I've designed as multiplayer games complete

> with XP, leveling, quests, crafting, guilds, boss mobs and more. Since

> designing the classes as games, the average class grade has risen from

> a C to a B and class attendance is almost perfect. The book also

> includes case histories of other teachers using this method to teach a

> variety of subjects from middle school through university level

> courses; and guidelines for creating your own multiplayer classroom.

> If you already have designed a class as a game, or want to learn more,

> join us on The Multiplayer Classroom Facebook page. The author's page

> on Amazon will soon feature additional material as well.

> I would especially love feedback from you folks!

> Thanks,

> Lee

> *Lee Sheldon

> */Associate Professor

> Department of Language, Literature and Communication

> Co-Director Games and Simulation Arts and Sciences Program

> Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute/

steve graham
associate professor
computer game design