[game_edu] Brenda Braithwaite's game_edu rant at GDC

Gregory Walek gwalek at ccsnh.edu
Thu Mar 3 14:02:17 EST 2011

A striking point which is not in Brenda's Blog post which was made at
GDC (and picked up by Forbes) is how she sorts resumes:
"If you look at my laptop, you'll see two folders of resumes - one is
people who can code and one is the trash."
http://blogs.forbes.com/davidewalt/2011/03/01/want-to-be-a-game-designer
-learn-to-code/

Brenda's argument is that when you are doing digital game design, you
are designing what is to be programmed. If you have no clue to the
underlying fundamentals then you are dead in the water. It's great that
you can talk the talk, if you can't prove you can walk the walk you are
not worth looking at.

The kicker here is that these comments are being said by someone whom is
involved with the HIRING process.

- Greg