[game_edu] Brenda Braithwaite's game_edu rant at GDC

William Huber whuber at ucsd.edu
Thu Mar 3 15:42:17 EST 2011

I think the reason I am responding so strongly to Brenda's rant/post is that
she doesn't just call for procedural literacy, basic programming ability, or
a broad understanding of software engineering principles.

She specifically said that a CS-level of familiarity with code is required.
This is analogous to telling magazine editors not to hire writers without
degrees in linguistics! What worries me is that panicked students will
enroll in CS classes, fail, and go elsewhere - and the people who will then
make up the industry will have less of a background in things like art and
design history and theory, in literature and history, in anthropology and
psychology, in the huge range of disciplines that can unexpectedly make for
very interesting game designs. Teaching a couple of classes on Processing,
Java (the classes she derides in her post/rant!) is probably a good idea;
computation for expression would make a great track for a program.
Traditional CS classes, which are often designed to weed out students in
impacted CS majors: no. It is, again, telling, that she never had tot take
one to pursue her career. It would be nice if she could extend the benefits
of perspective from her own experience to be willing to take some chances on
incoming generations of designers.

William Huber
Researcher, Software Studies Initiative @ Calit2
Doctoral candidate, Ph.D. Program in Art & Media History
Visual Arts Department, University of California, San Diego