[game_edu] Brenda Braithwaite's game_edu rant at GDC

Ian Schreiber ai864 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 4 05:16:11 EST 2011

Personally, I take Brenda's rant in context. It's a rant session, not an
information session. One method of making a solid rant is to take a
black-and-white, polarizing view to its logical extreme for the purpose of
sparking discussion. Judging by the traffic on this list, I would say she has
succeeded admirably.

Reading between the lines, then, we have to dial things back a little. What are
the real takeaways here? This is my interpretation:

1) Entry-level game design positions in the game industry are rare to begin
with, and supply of candidates is MUCH greater than demand. Who are our
graduates competing with for jobs? Well, I got my first game design job by
applying for an entry-level position after 3 years industry experience as a
gameplay programmer/scripter, following 4 years programming experience outside
the industry, so I assume my students are competing with people of my caliber.
More to the point, for every student of yours who is a design superstar, there
are ten other design superstars out there applying for the same position who
also know programming, so the odds are stacked against. Does it happen, that a
game design student (without programming) will get a game design job? Sure it
does -- it happened to Brenda, it has happened to some of her students, it
happened to some of my students, it probably happens for some of yours. But the
thing to realize is that this is the exception, not the rule. The students that
get these jobs are outliers. And constructing an entire curriculum designed for
outliers is criminal, assuming you are promoting your school to prospective
students as a way to get an industry job as a game designer. If your marketing
even vaguely implies this, you owe it to your students to either fix your
curriculum so your students are actually competitive, or to fix your marketing
so you make it clear that this degree has near-zero vocational value.

2) Programming is useful for a game designer. A designer who understands code
can use that knowledge to inform their designs. I can say this from my own
experience (I have a CS background along with design experience): as a designer
I have saved my programming team months of coding simply by slightly tweaking a
design from something that is nearly impossible to code, to something that is
nearly trivial. And as a programmer, I have used my understanding of the
scripting system used in an engine to suggest new mechanics to the design team
that were compelling, deep, and easy to implement. Knowing code is a valuable
skill.

3) Design and programming are strongly linked (perhaps moreso than other
disciplines). Particularly for systems design, what designers do is write
documents that tell the programmers what to do. A "pure" designer working with a
"pure" programmer leads to miscommunication and chaos. If the designer doesn't
know code, then that forces the programmer to have a good natural talent for
design, which limits the teams that designer can work with.

Also it's important to remember that Brenda is specifically talking about
entry-level designers, not designers in general, because the competition for
entry-level positions is just too great. The fact that Brenda is just learning
to code now is thus irrelevant to her core argument.

- Ian