[game_edu] Brenda Braithwaite's game_edu rant at GDC (Erin Hoffman)

Tom Smith thetomsmith at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 12:14:47 EST 2011

As a working game designer of 15+ years who has very minimal formal
Computer Science education (one class), I firmly agree with Erin and
others here. Anyone in a game design program should learn some
programming. You can get by, like I did, by having a basic
understanding and learning in the trenches, but it would have been
much easier if I'd known more code from the start. There are many
other fields I could also say that about (psychology, art, sociology,
economics, business, history, creative writing, cultural anthropology,
etc. etc.), but I would rank programming above all the others as a
Very Useful Skill for up and coming game designers.

--Tom Smith