[game_edu] Brenda Braithwaite's game_edu rant at GDC

Steven Yau mail at stevenyau.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 15:13:07 EST 2011

I agree with the general notion that game designers should be capable
of making a game to some degree. However, with all the tools out
there, I don't expect them to be able to create a new engine or deal
with advanced AI algorithms that a programmer from a CS background
would be able to do.

They have to understand the process and underlying theory of creating
a game just like a furniture designer should be aware of the
manufacturing process but I don't expect them to build the tools
needed to create the product.

As long as they are aware of the process and limitations, I can't see
why they can't be a good games designer just because they can't
program.

Steven Yau