[game_edu] Brenda Braithwaite's game_edu rant at GDC

Dan danc at narrativedesigns.com
Fri Mar 4 23:26:29 EST 2011

I think some of the disagreement between how much programming is needed is
to some degree based on what each of us interprets as "knowing programming."
Brenda calls for a Foundation of Code. What foundation is needed for a
designer, for an artist, and for a CIT graduate is undoubtedly very
different. I just watched the link from Escapist, I don't see a big
disconnect from that advice and Brenda's. According to the video, designers
need (among others skills) solid Logic skills, a good understanding of
Advanced Algebra, a basic understanding of Computer Technology, and basic
Scripting and Programming abilities.

I'd argue that anyone who has a solid understanding of logic and algebra,
and can program at a basic ability, has a solid enough foundation to create
a functional prototype of their game, especially with all the tools we have
today. The better the grasp on programming, the easier it would be and
better optimized, of course, but a fundamental understanding of programming
does not seem unrealistic. Note that she derides Intro to Programming or
Java 101 as the sole exposure to programming; I'm curious as to exactly what
exposure she would feel is an adequate amount (though since she's admittedly
just now learning programming I doubt she'd feel comfortable defining a
criteria yet.) But her larger point about designers needing to have some
foundation in programming I think is a good one.

--Dan Carreker

_____