[game_edu] Brenda Braithwaite's game_edu rant at GDC

Bill Crosbie bill.crosbie at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 20:33:02 EST 2011

Kenneth,

I'm sorry to hear that your program didn't pan out. The skills you were
training fall in to the realm of technical art, a discipline that, according
to the people doing it, has only recently gained traction within the
industry.

I spent almost the entire week of GDC recording interviews with tech artists
for the Education SIG. The first interviews are up on YouTube at
http://www.youtube.com/opcode6
(I'm processing more in the background as I type.)

There are interviews with TAs from Volition, Insomnicac, Bioware, Krome,
Avalanche, IO Interactive, Criterion, Red Storm, 1st Playable and Valve on
the way. I'm sorry if this information comes a touch too late for you, but I
hope that other programs looking to bridge art and coding find the resources
they need to encourage students to stick it out.

There will be a formal announcement of the contributors and companies once
all of the files are uploaded.

Bill