[game_edu] Suggestions for HS Game Design Software

Anthony Hart-Jones tony at dragonstalon.co.uk
Wed Oct 12 05:14:19 EDT 2011

If Game Maker is working for you, I might also recommend Stencyl. It
work in a similar way, but has a couple of features that Game Maker
doesn't and is free as well. One of the best things about Stencyl for
me would be StencylForge, an online resource library (access to which is
included in the program).

Using these pre-compiled art-assets and scripts, a very simple game
could be made in maybe half an hour. Some of those scripts are basic
things like bindings for movement keys, 'stomp' enemies (as Mario does)
or dying when falling into a pit. They let you skip the 'reinventing
the wheel' stage by giving you functionality that everyone else is using
anyway. The best bit of this is that the code editor allows you to
tweak these scripts in a very simple drag-and-drop interface or even to
open the raw script (which looks a lot like Action Script to my
untrained eye) in a text-editor.

There are issues with using it in an academic environment, not least
of all the risk of a student forgetting to give correct attribution, but
you'll find that with any program where users can share code online.
Right now, it will output Flash games, but they were talking about
exporting to HTML5 too.

You can pick a copy up or learn more about it at
http://www.stencyl.com/ and decide if it looks useful. I'm not sure it
is the right answer for you, but it's certainly an option to consider.

- Anthony