[game_edu] An Introduction and UK BTEC National Diploma

Scott Price sprice at elinemedia.com
Tue Sep 6 17:30:03 EDT 2011

Hello, Darren --

I'm the Product Manager (who does a lot of design and curriculum-building)
for Gamestar Mechanic, a game that aims to teach game design and systems
thinking through a game. It seems relevant to your interests. ;)

http://www.gamestarmechanic.com

More specifically, it was designed with some of what Ian is advising in mind
-- it focuses very specifically on game design as DISTINCT from
programming. It's almost certainly young for your students, since it is
aimed at 8-14 year-olds and has an anime- and steampunk-inspired visual
style. However, during the research that led to Gamestar's release, we saw
it used in undergraduate classes. The classes just tend to focus on it for
a shorter period of time before moving on.

Its model of breaking down the field of game design could also be an
interesting counterpoint to the other books that Ian and others have
mentioned. Gamestar's model was informed by the other works.

It's my project, so I've got an interest in promoting it, but the separation
that Ian mentioned between game design and programming, between systems
thinking and computational thinking, is one I would second and which I think
Gamestar Mechanic can speak to.

--Scott Price